The Marketing Director is responsible for partnering with the General Manager to lead the marketing and communication efforts of the shopping center and to achieve the center’s goals. These responsibilities include coordinating, overseeing and implementing all aspects of the center’s marketing and communications plan including marketing, advertising, public relations, special event planning and ancillary revenue income. He/She will establish a working relationship with the center staff, corporate teams, contractors, vendors and agencies/freelancers, media and community leaders. Additionally, the Marketing Director will oversee retailer relations in an effort to strengthen partnerships, program participation and the overall customer experience. He/She should be proficient in budgeting, sales forecasting and digital marketing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSBILITES
Marketing & Advertising
• Create, develop and implement a strategic marketing plan in partnership with the General Manager, which supports the company’s objectives and property goals to positively impact traffic, sales and revenue.
• Plan and effectively execute an integrated advertising program across all traditional and digital channels to enhance tenant sales and generate positive results for the overall success of the center. Focus on finding new and innovative methods of reaching and engaging the target audience.
• Continually evaluate the effectiveness of key marketing activities through metrics such as sales results, reach or impressions, consumer response, publicity value, tenant success, and community support.
• Generate activity within the center that increases shopper frequency, length of time spent at the center and the number of retailers visited while on property.
• Manage the centers social media platforms; develop and execute social strategy, with emphasis on building an active, engaged audience.
• Maintain the center’s website and registered shopper database.
• Prepare and provide regular verbal and written reports including marketing plan summary, sales updates, public relations value, competitive analysis and traffic counts to corporate and center management, investment partners and other designated parties.
• Assist leasing as needed through research and marketing efforts in achieving 100% tenant occupancy.
• Administer, review and maintain the annual marketing budget, including non-event and non-advertising related items. Understand financial and various related reports.
• Monitor expenditures and income of the marketing budget. Prepare variance reports as needed.
Events & Promotions
• Develop and implement an annual event and promotions schedule focused on differentiating the center from its competitors, building community relations and social networking. Events should be planned with the goal of attracting the target customer. Where appropriate, sponsorships should be secured.
• Establish and manage a calendar that represents an integrated view of all marketing, advertising, event and promotion efforts.
• Work with tenants to co-sponsor and/or host events inside their store.
• Understand and meet legal requirements for special events, vendor contracts and volunteer guidelines.
• Develop an exceptional relationship with tenants through regular personal calls and visits, customized marketing plans, and on-going newsletters.
• Frequently review and understand retailer sales and traffic trends and generate reports as required. Utilize this information to aid in developing marketing plans and strategies.
Community Partnership & Public Relations
• In partnership with the General Manager, serve as a liaison to coordinate a community relations program that positions the center as an integral part of the trade area and a community resource.
• Coordinate public relations efforts that maintain the center in a favorable light, creates interest in the center, promotes special events, increases exposure to tenants, builds relationships with key media, and enhances the overall perception of the center.
May be required to travel for business purposes up to 15% of the time. All properly documented and approved company travel-related expenses will be reimbursed in accordance with RED Development’s Travel and Entertainment Policy.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Flexibility in working hours.
• Excellent oral, written, organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Strong strategic, quantitative, analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Flexible outlook towards task management.
• Understanding of existing retail offerings, demographics in trade area and regional market.
Education and/or Experience
• Required: Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in marketing, advertising, journalism or business administration. Seven to ten years in marketing, retail and/or related shopping center experience.
• Preferred: Certification from ICSC or other professional organization.
Language and Communication Skills
• Ability to write, read, analyze and interpret reports, business correspondence and procedures manuals.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management, tenants, clients, customers and the general public.
• Ability to effectively create and propose sponsorship proposals to local and national companies.
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, verbal, diagram, report or schedule form.
• Requires collaboration with other marketing directors and corporate marketing, while implementing programs independently.
• Strategic planning and thinking.
• Creativity and innovation.
Other Skills and Abilities
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, Publisher, photo-editing software, budgeting software, asset management software, Web/Internet/e-mail technologies and general computing technology.
• Ability to prepare a marketing budget.
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, etc., related to daily job responsibilities.
• Ability to negotiate with outside vendors to arrive at working arrangements beneficial to the center and its initiatives.