Director of Marketing and Communications, Moss Arts Center
Moss Arts Center at Virginia Tech
October 11, 2018
Full Time - Experienced
The Director of Marketing and Communications (director) is a key member of the senior management team of the Moss Arts Center. The director supports the Executive Director and other senior leaders in defining policy and setting strategic priorities, and directs marketing, communications, and patron services operations.
The director is responsible for the overall branding and messaging for the center, and for ensuring a prominent public profile for the center and its work, including initiatives of the Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology (ICAT) which is housed within and integrated with the Moss Arts Center. The director is responsible for meeting ticket sales and other program-related revenue goals, and the effective management of departmental resources including staff and budget.
Marketing Strategies & Plans
- Research, lead, and direct strategically targeted marketing and outreach efforts to a wide range of center and ICAT patrons and stakeholders, including students, faculty and staff, local and regional community members, donors, corporate partners, and national entities to increase the visibility and stature of the center and ICAT.
- Plan, manage, and oversee execution of branding, market research, media planning, market segmentation and targeting, and pricing strategies for diverse campus and community audiences.
- Design comprehensive marketing plans and initiatives to promote performances, exhibitions, and engagement events, retain and grow audiences, and build loyalty segments, taking into consideration the center and ICAT image, branding, message, mission, goals and priorities.
- Lead strategy for digital and social media initiatives across multiple channels; manage traditional marketing and communication elements including public relations efforts, print, broadcast, direct mail, and email campaigns; ensure high-visibility presence at community events.
- Supervise Associate Directors of Communications and Creative Services and provide direction for public relations, publicity, and development of visual and print material, including season guides, performance programs, website, and direct mail.
- Stay informed of industry trends and developments in performing arts marketing and public relations to consistently improve cost-effectiveness of marketing efforts.
- Establish and implement short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies and operating procedures; monitor and evaluate program effectiveness and implement changes required for improvement.
Patron and Donor Experience
- Supervise Associate Director of Patron Services and provide direction that ensures optimum experiences for all center stakeholders including patrons, visitors, donors, and students.
- Work closely with the executive director, the center’s development staff, and central University Advancement to create and guide center and ICAT communications approaches and materials related to all areas of fundraising including annual fund, campaign planning, and alumni-related initiatives.
- Design, conduct, and review surveys, evaluations, and other market/consumer research to determine effectiveness of marketing activities, program participation, and fundraising efforts.
- Attend center and ICAT-related day, evening, and weekend events to understand audiences and participants, and to understand the patron services and ticketing functions in operation.
- Provide overall direction and periodic review of the center’s ticketing and customer data management system contract as well as other marketing and customer-related software and systems.
Internal & External Relations
- Within the marketing and communications unit, provide effective leadership, supervision, training, and evaluation to ensure cohesive, coordinated, and effective support of center goals.
- Within the university, liaise with colleagues in the university’s central office of University Advancement (Development, University Relations, and Alumni Relations) to coordinate strategies and implement initiatives related to branding, messaging, and fundraising.
- Within the local and regional community, develop ties and seek partnerships that will increase participation in programs and marketing efforts, and serve as a representative of the center as requested and required by the executive director.
Budgeting and Analysis
- Regularly review and analyze departmental expenditures, earned revenue, audience segmentation and development tactics, and overall analysis of market reach and program participation.
- Employ data-driven decision making related to advertising methods, communication strategies, outreach event participation, and other promotional efforts to increase ticket sales and participation in center and ICAT programming.
- Work with the executive director and other senior leaders of the center to develop and manage budgets and perform periodic cost-benefit and productivity analyses.
- Advanced degree in arts management, communications, marketing, or related field of study, or Bachelor’s degree combined with significant related experience.
- Progressively responsible experience as an administrator of marketing and external relations within the arts.
- Robust experience with community relations in the performing arts, including audience development and patron services.
- Experience with current and developing trends and tools related to digital marketing and media.
- Strong communication, organization, analytical, and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to present complex information clearly with confidence and credibility.
- The ability to effectively lead and supervise the work of other management staff in positions of significant responsibility.
- Excellent consultative and collaborative skills.
- Experience working and negotiating with vendors.
- Availability to attend evening and weekend events as requested and required.
- Experience working with a major university performing arts presenting program, or with a large-scale performing arts organization.
- Demonstrated understanding of the academic mission of a comprehensive, land-grant, research university and sensitivity to diversity and other issues unique to higher education.
- Direct experience with ticketing services and systems.
About Moss Arts Center at Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech’s Moss Arts Center presents renowned artists from around the globe and from close to home, with a special focus on experiences that expand cultural awareness and deepen understanding. Uniquely partnered with the Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology, the Moss Arts Center houses the Street and Davis Performance Hall and its Anne and Ellen Fife Theatre, visual art galleries, the experimental venue the Cube, and research studios. The Moss Arts Center is creating a thriving creative community fueled by inspiration, where patrons have meaningful experiences, enjoying arts of the highest caliber in a wide variety of forms.