The Marketing and Public Relations Manager develops, implements, and executes a variety of strategic initiatives for Northern Arizona Healthcare's integrated network of hospitals, outpatient centers and medical group practices. This leader is responsible for creating and leading plans in the areas of marketing, advertising, public and media relations, as well as supporting crisis management for the health system.
Team and People Management * Creates a positive team environment by participating as an influential and contributing member of the department.
* Supervises the performance of Marketing and Public Relations Specialists.
* Leads cross-functional project teams, including colleagues representing various areas of the organization.
Marketing Planning and Execution * Develop strategic marketing and communication plans to drive definable business impact.
* Support system branding, key service line objectives, and Office of Philanthropy through media placement, digital and printed messaging, and other related marketing activity.
* Ensures programs/campaigns support and strengthen brand awareness and affinity among the provider and community audience.
* Utilize data-driven systems (inclusive of CRM and other data sources) to review, analyze and make recommendations on strategic messaging and campaign opportunities.
* Work with NAH leaders, including service line administrators, to develop content for provider and consumer messaging; inclusive of brochures, sell sheets and other collateral material.
* Co-develops the annual market planning, vendor negotiations, communications planning and support of sponsorship opportunities.
* Works in alignment with advertising, data or other agency support in development and implementation of advertising, media, campaign and special program initiatives.
* Support provider and community marketing liaisons in messaging and special promotions.
* Track and maintain marketing and communications budgets.
Reporting and Measurement * Produces ongoing analytics for programs and plans with an eye to constant evaluation and improvement of efforts.
* Offers insights and recommendations as to potential issues and opportunities that may impact divisional plans.
* Monitor and report on competitive marketing activity.
* Design and co-present service line and other divisional marketing planning.
Story Development and Dissemination * Works with the Director of Communication on the creation of:
* A Communications Hub to manage messaging, materials and processes by which Northern Arizona Healthcare delivers its story to each of its target audiences.
* A News Bureau to identify and manage media opportunities.
* A Speaker's Bureau to identify and create opportunities for Northern Arizona Healthcare leaders and ambassadors to engage with stakeholder groups.
* Works collaboratively with health system leadership and providers to develop stories and content that support brand messaging and positioning and service line growth.
* Develops, pitches, promotes, and secures placement of stories in local, regional and national media.
* Responsible for News Releases, Press Conferences and Media Briefings.
* Works with providers, patients and families for profile and promotion in stories; obtains and maintain releases/consent forms.
* Consistently monitors media for developing stories and secures third-party commentary placements of health system experts.
Media Relations * Develops a strategic media relations plan that supports the programmatic and business goals of Northern Arizona Healthcare.
* Develops, cultivates, and maintains relationships with reporters, editors, publishers, producers, bloggers/influencers and other media professionals for the benefit of the health system.
* Prepares reports of media coverage on a regular basis.
* Handles after-hours media requests.
* Serves as a media spokesperson as needed.
Speech Writing and Crisis Communication * Prepares talking points and writes speeches for NAH leadership as needed.
* Develops and oversees implementation of crisis communication plans.
Compliance/Safety * Responsible for reporting any safety-related incident in a timely fashion through the Midas/RDE tool; attends all safety-related training programs; performs work in a safe manner; monitors work environment for possible safety issues and ensures others are also performing work in a safe manner.
* Maintains confidentiality of all department, patient, and employee matters.
* Completes all company mandatory modules and required job-specific training within the specified time frame.
* Stays current and complies company policies that impact the employee's area of responsibility.
Bachelors Degree in business, marketing, public relations, communications, or related field- Required
MBA or Master's Degree in marketing, public relations, communications, or journalism - Preferred
Minimum ten (10) years of experience in strategic marketing, public relations and media relations with increasing responsibilities and project oversight.
Customer Relationship Management, or Data Management experience - Required
Experience in a leadership role, including leading, managing, coaching and development professionals - Preferred
Prior work experience within the healthcare industry - strongly preferred
Certification & Licensures
*Valid Arizona driver's license and personal vehicle in order to travel to locations within the health system as needed.
Healthcare is a rapidly changing environment and technology is integrated into almost all aspects of patient care. Computers and other electronic devices are utilized across the organization and throughout each department. Colleagues must have an understanding of computers, and competence in using computers and basic software programs.
Northern Arizona Healthcare is the largest healthcare organization in a region that encompasses more than 50,000 square miles. Our team of more than 3,000 doctors, nurses and other experts works together to keep you and your family healthy.
Serving more than 700,000 people in communities across the region, we provide comprehensive healthcare services through two hospitals – Flagstaff Medical Center and Verde Valley Medical Center – as well as through primary care and specialty physician clinics, outpatient surgical centers, the Heart & Vascular Center of Northern Arizona, Cancer Centers of Northern Arizona Healthcare, EntireCare Rehab & Sports Medicine, Fit Kids of Arizona, Guardian Air and Guardian Medical Transport and Valley View Care.
As a nonprofit healthcare system, our organization is governed by a volunteer board of directors.