Development and Alumni Relations is seeking an experienced, creative and strategic professional to lead the Marketing and Communications program. This leader will use Lehigh’s campaign goals and institutional priorities to shape a set of strategic messages, to be delivered in focused and innovative ways to drive campaign success. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
The Senior Director of Marketing and Communications will create strategy for all Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) communications, including those related to fundraising and engagement initiatives. They will focus immediately on managing a comprehensive, multi-year campaign communications plan. The Senior Director will lead in the production of all department communications and collateral.
The Senior Director will report to and partner with the Asst. Vice President for Strategic Marketing and Communications, working with the Associate Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of DAR, the DAR Executive Team, and other DAR fundraising professionals to develop highly personalized materials that will be used to solicit and secure gifts from the university’s highest-level prospects and donors. They will have expertise describing complex institutional subject matter, academic priorities, and concise rationales for philanthropy. The Senior Director will maintain a firm understanding of Lehigh’s campaign initiatives and goals, while also understanding how DAR and the campaign fit within the broader University communications strategy.
This position supervises an eight-person DAR Marketing and Communications team, including director-level employees. They will serve as a senior member of the Operations team and report to the Associate Vice President and Chief Operating Officer for DAR.
1. Build, implement and manage a fully integrated and strategic DAR Marketing and Communications program *Define and build best practice, including assessing current program resources, identifying needs and recommending how to modify the program to fit the needs of the operation *Oversee strategic execution in all channels and outlets; one-pagers, websites, videos, emails, publications, events, virtual and social media engagement *Develop themes, messages, and materials (print and digital) for key areas in the division, such as Principal Gifts, Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Annual Fund/Lehigh Fund, Alumni Relations, Special Events and Donor Relations *Ensure that all communication is tailored to target audiences and is consistent with overall brand strategy, messaging and design *Stay actively engaged with and knowledgeable about other universities and their successful marketing strategies as they relate to fundraising and alumni relations *Stay current on all marketing techniques in higher education and other industries as to direct activities of the team and leverage new technologies and strategies *Serve as a liaison with communications colleagues across Lehigh to ensure quality messaging and strong working relationships *Ensure that DAR Communications coordinates announcements and publicity with University Communications *Oversee and consult with team liaisons as they engage outside photographers, graphic designers, consultants, copywriters and advertising agencies involved in special events *Inspire, elevate and implement a data-driven culture for digital engagement, including meaningful and actionable digital marketing goals and metrics and integration with standard alumni relations engagement metrics
2. Execute a comprehensive, fully integrated, multi-year campaign marketing plan and related campaign public launch plan *Develop and manage all campaign-related communication materials in print and digital *Lead in the continued support of campaign materials, including collateral, tool kits, event remarks and materials, marketing videos and other collateral *Implement high-level institutional and campaign messaging in partnership with the Senior Director of Strategic Messaging *Work in close partnership with the Senior Director for Development, the Campaign Director and the Senior Director of Strategic Messaging
3. Provide strategic leadership and partner closely with senior leaders in all DAR programs, including Fundraising (Principal Gifts, Major Gifts and Lehigh Fund), Alumni Relations, Donor Relations and Events; serve as liaison with University Communications to create cohesive messaging across the University *Recommend marketing and communications strategies that align with and support program plans and goals developed by leaders managing all fundraising programs, Alumni Relations, Donor Relations and Events *Partner with Alumni Relations and the Lehigh Fund to ensure a single vocabulary is used at all levels of engagement and giving to provide a uniform tone and perspective about Lehigh and the campaign *Partner with Donor Relations to ensure that messages are within the context of overarching DAR messages about the campaign and Lehigh *Partner with Principal and Major Gifts programs to reliably deliver inspiration and messages consistent with University objectives *Create communications plans for events in partnership with multiple program leaders across DAR responsible for developing overall event strategy *Ensure that digital and print materials follow brand and/or campaign guidelines and adhere to quality standards for content and message *Oversee the content strategy and development of alumni and campaign websites, working with Alumni Relations and University Communications *Articulate core themes and messages to all staff to ensure messages are understood and conveyed effectively across all publications
4. Lead creative operations and Departmental budgeting, ensuring top quality, accuracy and appropriate branding for all DAR publications and communications, including web and digital communications *Identify, organize and allocate necessary resources across the Department to oversee and improve all schedules related to creative activities including campaigns, video production, digital assets and more *Manage Department budget *Ensure that campaign and donor messaging is clear, concise and that messages match audiences *Edit key letters and communications in support of DAR team members, e.g., Major Gift Officers and Engagement Officers *Lead project operations and oversee production and review process within and outside the Department, creating process improvements as needed *Provide direction and oversight to Graphic Designers to ensure consistency with branding throughout design work *Write and edit materials as needed, including campaign publications, website copy, email copy, brochures, stewardship pieces, video, etc. *Ensure digital content and social media strategies are rooted in channel best practices and are fully integrated into all appropriate outreach *Stay informed of new technology and its potential application to DAR communications
5. Supervise DAR Marketing and Communications team *Supervise an eight-person Marketing and Communications team in addition to student employees and contract vendors *Assign and direct work and manage performance for staff, including Director-level employees *Provide continual performance feedback and conduct regular performance reviews *Analyze and organize office operations and procedures *Maximize productivity through the use of technology, software and management *Manage employment, including position evaluation, salary recommendations, training, performance review and approvals for hire *Identify appropriate professional development opportunities for staff
Position Number: S89320
The duties of this position may allow the employee to work partially remote as deemed appropriate by their supervisor
Bachelor's Degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience
Eight or more years related work experience
Management experience is required
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Excellent organizational skills, time management and attention to detail
Strong project management skills and accountability in meeting deadlines and juggling multiple projects
Experience marketing to diverse audiences
Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to create a cohesive narrative
Ability to build, foster and maintain positive professional relationships
Supervisory experience required
Excellent computer skills with experience using word processing, spreadsheet and database software
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
All Lehigh faculty and staff are required to be fully vaccinated and receive a booster shot six months after their second vaccine; unless they receive an approved medical or religious exemption from the requirement.
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.
Lehigh is a premier residential research university, ranked in the top tier of national research universities each year. We are a coeducational, nondenominational, private university that offers a distinct academic environment of undergraduate and graduate students from across the globe.