Northland Community and Technical College seeks a full-time unlimited Social Media & Marketing Specialist on the East Grand Forks or Thief River Falls campus to help develop an impactful strategy across its marketing communications platforms to advance the brand, support enrollment growth, and strengthen stakeholder relationships. This role is primarily responsible for the day-to-day administration, content development, and management of all college social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) to maximize engagement and build brand awareness. This includes the collaboration of the editorial calendar and annual social media strategy creation. This role will use digital marketing tools and analytics to provide reports and recommendations to ensure the College remains current and competitive as the social media/digital landscape evolves. In addition, the Specialist will work on various marketing activities and projects that support the College's strategic goals. The incumbent will be an innovative content creator with an eye for design and cohesive, creative branding. The incumbent will have the ability to collaborate with team members across the College and externally to align our digital, social media, and other marketing and communication strategies with the Northland brand.
Principle Responsibilities and Results:
1. Oversee all college social media channels
● Produce and publish social media content for all college channels (Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.), collaborating with other members of the Marketing and Communications team and other employees of the College.
● Develop and maintain an integrated content calendar for all social media in alignment with a college-wide marketing communication strategy and plan.
● Assist in planning, implementing, and managing a social media strategy for the College's primary accounts that promote active engagement for all audiences – including prospective and current students, faculty and staff, alumni, the general public, and other stakeholders.
● Collaborate with the Director of Marketing & Communications to develop multiple digital and social media campaigns to increase engagement and followers while supporting the college brand and program goals and objectives.
● Monitor college and department social media accounts to ensure quality and consistent execution of branding and messaging.
● Monitor and respond to user posts and feedback on a timely basis and escalate issues if needed.
Percent of Time: 50%
2.Assist in developing and managing various digital media tools and platforms
● Work closely with the Director of Marketing & Communications in planning, designing, implementing, and maintaining best practices in producing comprehensive email/text campaigns and automated marketing programs on CRM Salesforce platforms that align with the College's enrollment objectives and goals.
● Work in WordPress to manage web page content, create articles and posts, and create and maintain pages.
● Assist in the ongoing development of the College's virtual campus tour platform.
● Assist in driving Canva adoption and usage and scale ongoing connection with college faculty and staff.
● Aid in organizing and managing photo and video media archives with digital asset management systems.
● Recommend improvements of digital properties based on performance analysis.
Percent of Time: 20%
3. Assist in developing and coordinating various marketing activities and projects
● Work with the Director of Marketing & Communication to develop and execute annual strategic marketing campaigns that align with Northland's Strategic Plan and Strategic Enrollment Management Plan in helping the College achieve its goals.
● Assist in internal communication and engagement activities.
● Assist in developing recruitment content and collateral.
● Capture photography of campus events, including taking and editing images for digital use.
● Work closely with the Director of Marketing & Communications to create video/photography production schedules and assist with the coordination of professional shoots.
● Ensure marketing materials visually comply with Northland's mission and brand standards.
● Participate in local, regional, and state college activities to provide support and capture media.
● With the internal Marketing and Communications team, assess the effectiveness of marketing activities and materials to make recommendations on direction and budget.
● Position requires occasional evening and weekend work and may include some travel.
Percent of Time: 20%
4. Assist in developing and providing training and creating reports
● Evaluate analytics, trends, and activity across digital and social media platforms—and make recommendations for placement and improvement to ensure the College remains current and competitive.
● Develop, write and maintain resources and guides and train on social media procedures and best practices for campus partners and the internal Marketing and Communications team through venues such as campus workshops and social media help hours.
● Deliver hands-on, virtual experiences and informational presentations/training on digital tools and platforms.
● Aid in preparation of various marketing reports, research results, and presentations for internal and external audiences
Percent of Time: 10%
● Degree in marketing, public relations, communications, business, or a related field from an accredited institution.
● One year of working experience in social media marketing or as a digital media specialist.
● Excellent consulting, writing, editing (photo/video/text), presentation and communication skills.
● Demonstrable knowledge and experience of current online social media platforms and social analytics tools knowledge.
● Understanding of marketing and branding principles.
● Strong creative, visual, and typographic skills with demonstrated ability to present and explain ideas clearly and create visual presentations.
● Strong attention to detail.
● Three years of project management experience in a social media environment.
● Working knowledge of Salesforce, WordPress, Canva, SiteImprove, Google Analytics, search engine optimization (SEO), and Adobe Creative Suite, including Adobe Photoshop, Premier or Final Cut Pro.
● Understands and researches trends in social media and digital marketing.
● Strong analytical skills to evaluate current platforms and campaigns to determine effectiveness.
● Proven experience within a higher education setting – specifically marketing to diverse audiences.
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
If you have questions about the position, contact Michelle Benitt, Interim Director of Human Resources, at [email protected] or (218) 683-8634.
At Northland Community and Technical College, we have a GREATBENEFITSPACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 12 paid holidays each year.
Northland is a comprehensive two-year community & technical college offering 80+ program options in high-demand fields including; Aerospace, Agriculture, Automotive & Transportation, Building Trades, Business & Marketing, Education, Health & Human Services, Information Technology, Law & Public Safety, Manufacturing and more! Northland also has a liberal arts & transfer program which offers students the first two years of a bachelor's degree.
Northland is an innovative leader in higher education, preparing all learners with work and life skills that advance personal well-being and regional prosperity.
- Meet students where they are
- Focus on student success
- Provide a high-value learning experience
- Work collaboratively and build relationships
- Advance diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Promote global competency
- Encourage innovation and creativity
- Pursue quality and continuous improvement
- Meet community and workforce needs
- Practice responsible financial stewardship